During the holidays it’s so easy to get caught up in the, shall we say, more materialistic side of things. Rushing around looking for the perfect gifts, getting annoyed by traffic and lines and getting very stressed out trying to create the perfect everything. I invite you to take a moment to step back and think about those who may not be so fortunate. My mind goes to the children in the US who are patiently waiting to find their forever family.
Adopt US Kids has recently released brand new PSA’s to encourage the adoption of children from foster care with an emphasis on the importance of keeping siblings together. If you’re not familiar with Adopt US Kids, let me introduce you via 5 Facts About Adopt US Kids:
1. Since the launch of the campaign in 2004, more than 22,000 children who were once photo-listed on the AdoptUSKids website are now with their adoptive families.
2. Over 35,000 families have registered to adopt through AdoptUSKids.
3. There are currently 402,000 children in the foster care system in the United States.
4. Nearly 102,000 children (under 18 years of age) are waiting for adoption.
5. Approximately 23% of children and youth actively photolisted on the AdoptUSKids website and waiting for placement in adoptive homes were registered with one or more siblings.
With these sobering statistics in mind, I invite you to view the PSA’s and if you know of anyone looking to adopt, please let them know about www.AdoptUSKids.org and to visit the campaign’s communities on Facebook and Twitter.